Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chicken Stock

You could buy chicken broth or stock from a can or carton, but it's expensive! If you are using quite a bit for a recipe, it can really add up in cost. So, why not make your own and be able to control exactly what goes into it? Some of the best stocks are made with nothing but water and things that would normally be thrown away. So, why pay so much for it? Make a big batch and freeze it for whenever you need some for a recipe.

Chicken stock really is more of a method than a recipe. There are 1001 different ingredients that could go into your stock, but the method stays the same. You just need, chicken bones, water, and seasonings (and of course a little know-how).

Today, I'm making stock that uses leftovers from a whole chicken that I previously roasted. I didn't have time to make stock the day we ate the chicken, so I popped the bones, skin, and the little bit of chicken that was left after dinner into a large freezer bag and stuck it in the freezer. Just add water and seasonings, simmer on the stove, & Voila! Homemade chicken stock!

When I say seasonings, I mean anything that can be used to add flavor to your stock. In this case, we are using herbs and vegetables as seasonings. What you use is really up to you. I tend to use whatever I have on hand. I save the tops of celery, leeks, and fennel (things that would normally get thrown away) for stocks. I also save things in the freezer that I don't really have a use for and pull those out to make stocks (i.e. if I buy fresh herbs and don't use them all, the root part of green onions, etc.)

I don't usually add salt because there's really no need for it. Because I'm reserving the stock for use in recipes, I just salt whatever I am making. If you want to add salt, add a little at the end. If you add too much, it will potentially make your recipes too salty.


____

The stock I made today contained 2 leftover , roasted whole chickens with the majority of the meat removed (you only really need bones, anything extra is just added flavor) . I also added a handful of baby carrots, 5 cloves garlic - smashed with the skins removed, and 5 stalks of celery , a handful of leftover celery tops, 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns, 4 bay leaves, and 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary. I covered all of that with COLD water by about 1 inch. I brought it to a low boil and then reduced to a simmer and let it go on the stove for a few hours, checking on it occasionally.

Skim off any impurities or fat with a slotted spoon. Then, strain through a fine mesh sieve (it is easier to remove the chicken bones and most of the veggies with a slotted spoon first). Allow to cool completely before storing.


* A great tip is to freeze some of your stock in ice cube trays or pint canning jars so that you can use it in recipes that only require a little bit of stock. Then, save some in quart canning jars or large freezer safe containers that can be used for soups, or anything that requires a large amount of chicken stock.


No comments:

Post a Comment